1. The Myanmar National Human Rights Commission is gratified that the Union Peace-Making Committee and KIO delegation were able to issue a joint statement at the peace talks held at Shweli (Ruili)of the Peoples’ Republic of China on 11-12 March 2013 and that positive developments were achieved. The Myanmar National Human Rights Commission also whole-heartedly welcomes the statement that the Union Government will accelerate development and rehabilitation tasks in the Kachin State as the process to achieve cease-fire has commenced under the said joint statement.
- The MNHRC has constantly followed the developments on the conflict in the Kachin State. It was regrettably found that the displaced persons suffer from more miseries as the said conflict lasts longer. The Commission visited the Kachin State two times, one in December 2011 and the other in July 2012 and coordinated with the concerned parties and contributed to the distribution of humanitarian supplies to the displaced persons. In addition, in its statements issued in connection with the conflict in the Kachin State, the Commission had strongly recommended that:
– demining is essential before rehabilitation tasks to enable the displaced persons to return to their home;
– armed groups, relevant domestic and foreign organizations should cooperate when demining is undertaken;
– villagers should be educated on landmines;
– armed groups should not under any circumstances commit human rights violations on the local populace;
– there should be no forced recruitment of new soldiers; and
– the issue of humanitarian access and safe passage for humanitarian supplies should be addressed
- In order to alleviate the sufferings of the displaced persons and also to contribute more to the peace talks, it is urged again that while the peace talks are being held with the objective of ultimately achieving peace in the Kachin State, the above-mentioned recommendations of the Myanmar National Human Rights Commission should be implemented as a priority.
Myanmar National Human Rights Commission
Date- March, 2013