1. The Business Meeting of the Asia Pacific Forum of National Human Rights Institutions (APF) decided to admit the Myanmar National Human Rights Commission as an associate member of the APF which is the Asia Pacific regional group consisting of the National Human Rights Institutions in the Asia Pacific region. The Business Meeting of the Asia Pacific Forum was held during the 11th International Conference of the International Coordinating Committee of National Institutions for Promotion and Protection of Human Rights (ICC), which was held in Amman, Jordan from 4 to 7 November 2012.
2. At the invitation of the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the National Center for Human Rights (NCHP) of Jordan, which is the Chair of the ICC, a three-member delegation headed by the Chairman of the MNHRC, attended the 11th International Conference of the ICC. The overall theme of the Conference is “The Human Rights of Women and Girls, Gender Equality: The Role of National Human Rights Institutions” and the current situation, challenges and advancements relating to the human rights of women in light of the international human rights standards were discussed with the objective to eliminate discrimination against women and to empower women towards gender equality. Regarding the human rights of women and girls and the promotion of gender equality, the 11th Conference of the ICC adopted the Amman Declaration and Programme of Action.
3. During the Conference, the regional groups of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) from Africa, the Americas, Asia Pacific and Europe respectively met on 5 November 2012.
4. At its meeting on 5 November, APF members accepted the Myanmar National Human Rights Commission as an associate member, pending its application to the ICC for membership. The APF procedure requires that an applicant is entitled to apply for associate status before it is accredited by the ICC. Accordingly, the Myanmar National Human Rights Commission will work to apply to the ICC for accreditation.
5. On 8 November, the Myanmar National Human Rights Commission Delegation also participated in the Post-Conference Half-Day Side-Event on Business, Women’s and Children’s Rights hosted and organized by the ICC Working Group on Business and Human Rights.
The Myanmar National Human Rights Commission
Date. 13 November, 2012