- The complaints investigation team of the Myanmar National Human Rights Commission (MNHRC) conducted the complaint screening meetings in April 2021 for examining complaints and the status of the actions are as follows:
(a) referring to relevant ministries/ organizations – 6
(b) advising the complainants – 4
(c) putting on records – 4
Total – 14
- The 4 complaints which are placed on record include the cases which are not within the competence of the Commission according to Section 32(b) of MNHRC Law, the cases which may seek more appropriate remedies through alternative channels, available to the complainant according to Section 32 (c) of MNHRC Law and the cases which are not in line with the criteria for the complaint. The Commission puts those cases on record systematically.
- The MNHRC received 13 responses to the complaints received in 2020 and 3 responses to the complaints, received in 2021, from the relevant Union Ministries and Organizations, Nay Pyi Taw Council and State and Regional Governments, in connection with the complaints that MNHRC sent for taking necessary actions. Subsequently, the MNHRC informed the complainants of the responses.
- To lodge complaints or allegations of human rights violations, a written complaint may be sent in person or by registered mail and express mail to No. (27), Pyay Road, Hlaing Township, Yangon. Complaints may be lodged by fax or email to Fax no. 01 654678 and email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
- Since violations of child rights and the rights of persons with disabilities are also human rights violations, they can be lodged with the Commission whenever and wherever those rights are violated.
- The name of the complainant, a copy of national registration card, contact address, how human rights were violated as well as clear and full explanation of the circumstances leading to the incident are necessary together with the complaint letter signed by the complainant. If necessary, copies of documents relevant to the circumstances of the incident, photograph, audio files, video files shall be attached in full with the complaint letter as evidence.
Myanmar National Human Rights Commission
Date: 2 June 2021